Been too busy with the little ones...

Wow, I just realized that I've been really missing in action. Has it really been a month since I posted here? I guess so!

Well, I feel better about the fact that lots of moms' blogs (and not necessarily blogs focusing on motherhood, just ones written by people who happen to be moms) were sparce this past month. It’s the end of the school year and all, and we've been busy. But I've noticed that while I wax poetic on Stella a lot, I haven't mentioned my little buddy, Sammy. He's just starting to talk now, so he'll have clever precocious things to say and I'll probably document that here, but I was just pausing to think that perhaps I should capture him here and now, while he's still my sweet little boy, before he turns into some mouthy adolescent who curses my name.

Because now, he is the sweetest little boy in the world. There are times when he keeps me up all night with this sleeplessnes and his fears, times when he's tugging at my skirt or pants leg for attention while I'm trying to get other stuff done, but I forget that every day in the late afternoon, when I walk in the door from work.

That moment when I open the door and walk in the house is a daily moment to treasure. He doesn't holler yippee or hooray, but rather pleasure. "Mama!" he pants when I come home, with a timbre somewhere between Elvis Presley and Pierce Brosnan. "Mama!" He yells and toddles over to me, with a smile so big I'm afraid his adorable head will crack open. "Mama!" he says, with his arms outstretched, like Little Nutbrown Rabbit in Guess How Much I Love You, stamping his feet, doing the happy dance until I finally manage to put down my purse and day bag, take off my jacket, and pick him up to hug and kiss him. Then, and only then, may I acknowledge anybody else in the house, including my husband and 7 year old daughter.

"How was school today, Stella?" I ask. "Whatever," she mumbles.

"How was your day, hon?" I ask my husband. "OK," he grunts.

But then I turn around and see Sammy again.

"Mama!" he smiles, as if to say "To hell with them! I will sing your praises from the moment you walk in the door, for you are home and you belong to ME now! Mama!"

Comments

Popular Posts