Junk and Punk are worth the lack of sleep

For me, the Sunday of Labor Day weekend is a chance to sleep in and lunge about, and maybe get a nice bike ride in, but after I heard about The World's Greatest Junk Parade from Rome to Sullivan WI, I knew I'd be getting up early to check this out. (Question: who are the other contenders for "World's Greatest Junk Parade?) That's when I realized this is the kind of thing that would only happen in Wisconsin. Well, maybe Minnesota, but when you read the backstory (and I encourage you to click on this link to do so), I'm pretty sure that the setting for this is Wisconsin. According to the local paper, the Jefferson County Daily Union, the event was borne back in the 70s and revolved around a failed Evel Knievel-type stunt. Go click the link. The local reporter did a good job digging up the history, and it's worth a read.
I parked in Jefferson (I know, that's a good ten miles from Sullivan or Rome) because I wanted to get a good bike ride in on the Glacial Drumlin State Trail. The ride from Jefferson to the outskirts of Sullivan is much more scenic than one would expect. Plus, I figured it would be easier to find -- and move from -- a good viewing spot on my bike than parking somewhere, and having to walk. The parade route is three miles along County Road F, which is Main Street in both towns.
According to the Daily Union, that road would be closed by 1030 for the parade beginning at noon, so I found some nice people to hang with out on the outskirts of Sullivan, a little more than halfway down the parade route. 

It was worth not sleeping in. A bunch of teeny little motorized pieces of junk was visible from the distance, and were followed by all sorts of vehicles that you have to admit, were amazing from the standpoint of just being able to run. Some had themes: "Grampa's Best Camping Trip Ever"was a favorite of mine. A church-sponsored float urged you to "Leave Your Junk At the Cross" (your junk being things like "envy" "unfaithfulness" "perfectionism").  Most seemed like families or collections of friends going in on the floats (and then there was the little girl who really wanted no part of this!) and overall it was a fun event, organically grown from some local lore. No whining about the streets closing down, and absolutely no pretension. Just a couple of communities who have the ability to laugh at themselves and have the ingenuity to pull it off. There were some taverns in "downtown" Sullivan that had bands and such, but it wasn't a full-blown festival,
and I have to agree that this parade warrants a festival or party of some sort at the end. I rode my bike into town and expected to see a street or two closed off, and maybe some band playing outside, but it felt kind of anti-climatic. Maybe the good folk of Sullivan/Rome have other plans for Labor Day (and I had to get back to Jefferson to attend to my car). Anyway, here's a bunch of pictures I took of pretty much every float. 

It was a gorgeous day for bike riding, and Jefferson County is a terrific place to do it. Lots of challenging hills, but good straightways to take a breather, too, and the little towns scattered about offer excellent pizza, bar food, or just a nice place to chat with people. I would have stayed longer, but there was another Labor Day Sunday tradition I had to check off, and that was the Kenosha Punk Piknik.

Last year, I didn't go. I wasn't even sure it was going to happen, seeing as how one of the main organizers, Frank Lenfestey, passed on a year and a half ago. I wasn't writing at the time, and it's an obit I'm not sure I'm qualified to write. What I can say about him was that he was warm, gregarious, and seemed never to forget a face/name/kind word. The previous times I made it to the Punk Piknik he was obviously in charge, making sure it stayed the chill but excellent event that it is, and although we saw each other maybe twice a year, he recognized me every time and welcomed me as though I were his favorite aunt. He was also the lead singer for Pistofficer, a favorite of mine in the KenoCore scene. I'd driven down to Kenosha on a crappy rainy night to pay my respects: the line stretched out the funeral home and into the parking lot. It was then I realized this wasn't just me who felt his warmth: this man was treasured by the scene he helped build and maintain and his death was a loss. He was buried with his boy scout sash: he was an Eagle Scout, and I learned through photographs and other people he was a father, a lover, a brother, a son, and a good friend who was always there if you needed him. I don't know what took him and I don't want to know. 

The Wardehns
But I made it to the Piknik this year and as I am every time I go, I'm glad I did. First, Frank's legacy is still there: it's still chill, there's still excellent punk, and KenoCore is alive and well. As usual, (as I am getting old) I'm good for about three or so bands, and this year's three were a great cross-section of hardcore. Right when I arrived, a power trio of heavy grind core players called The Wardens were starting to play. They have not one, but two vocalists who can churn out cookie monster vocals, sort of a call and response thing going between them. I normally am not a fan of grind core (and the accompanying cookie monster vox), but these guys were musically intense and heavy on the bass, which helped me
Wake Up
to hear some of the complex stuff they had going on. And because there were two vocalists (I don't want to say harmonizing) going with it, I indeed stuck around the entire set. 

Next up was a band I'd seen before and liked last time around, Wake Up. The open and close their set with a song that urges you to do just that. They've been around awhile: strong songs, strong fan base, and their singer did a little duet with one of the singers from the Wardens.   Glad to see they're still around and kicking. 

Short Story Inc
One more band for me, and I had to head home, and once again, it's worth the lack of sleep: Short Story Inc, out of Chicago. They mentioned it was their first time at the Piknik, and I doubt it will be their last.  90% punk, with some reggae/ska rhythms thrown in for variety, and they got quite garage at times.  Terrific guitar work, and engaging lead singer brought me in. If I heard correctly, the bass player had just been brought in for this gig and was subbing for somebody else (maybe that's why he kept his back to the audience most of the time). Still, he locked in tightly with a most animated drummer. Songs were catchy, too, which gives me reason to think these guys are going to catch on quickly with this and other punk crowds. 

Happy to see good ol hardcore punk still thumping, I trundled back to my car, put on some Dead Kennedys, and headed back north to upload all my pics from the Piknik and get ready for another week of work. Dr Chow is playing the Circle A this Saturday, and I'm going to need all week to rest up for that. 






Comments

Popular Posts