Just Checking In


Carlos demos to Sammy
Originally uploaded by V'ron
OK, so I'm sitting in relatively good seats withSammy's Cub Scout Troop at the Bucks game Wednesday night -- you know, the one against the Sacramento Kings that theyshould have won -- and while I was taking nots about how the middle school choir from St. Mary of the Virgin Whatever really wasn't ready to sing the anthem in public yet I was asking myself, "Wow, it's really been a long time since I've been to a Bucks game."And that turned into, "Wow, it's really been a long time since I went to see a band.... or taken any photographs.... or blogged." But really, I've not had much to do about any of these. You know how it is when you're out of work...that's your priority. If I have time to write a blog entry, I have time/energy to write a cover letter.

Which isn't to say I've been been completely out of it. One of the funner (is that a word?) things we did was watch Sammy go to a YMCA-sponsored workshop with the Milwaukee Bucks. They pick some kids out of every basketball class, and they get to do an hour workshop with the Bucks. I'm proud, but not surprised Sammy got picked, actually. He really gets into the game; he cheers on his team from the sidelines, he isn't a ballhog, he's down at the other end of the court in a flash when possession changes, and his dribbling is improving every day. So we were thrilled when he got picked. The kids get an hour with five of the Bucks and coaches (Redd, Jennings, Delfino, a few others....) and they rotate around various stations.

Oh yes, I saw music. The Danglers had a three-day stand at the Circle A -- oh lord, that was about a month ago, eh -- and I was able to make it to the third (Sunday) night where bassist Dave Gelting called the shots. (John called it on Friday, and Jason on Saturday). But the thing about the Danglers is that it really doesn't matter when or where you see them, or what kind of mood they or their music is in. It just works. It would have been interesting to see all three nights, and there were people who did -- but its wasn't disinterest that kept me away, tat's for sure. It was child care and just being tired. This being unemployed thing is emotionally -- and therefore physically -- draining.

Thank god for Girl Scout cookies -- they forced me out of the house a couple of weeks later to deliver to Ted Jorin, who was playing with the Hoosier Millionaires at Kochanski's. I knew that-- besides delivering the cookies, I'd get a pick me up in the form of whatever band this turned out to be, because there is no such thing as a competely serious Ted Jorin band. There will always been some level of his twisted sense of ironic humor in it and that's exactly what i need these days. Sometimes it's so subtle it's buried in the musical craftsmanship that goes along with it, sometime's it's not. If a name like "The Hoosier Millionaires" didn't give away the latter, the wonderfully godawful version of Led Zeppelin's "What Is And What Should Never Be" wafting outside the doors amidst the gently falling snow as I approached Kochanski's certainly did. Picture the song being accompanied by banjo, bass, drums and maybe a guitar. They ended up deconstructing everything form Zeppelin to TomJones if I remember correctly. It's the shit eating grin that Ted will never be able to wipe off his face that resassures you that he knows exactly what he's doing. And I sold a few more extra boxes of girl scout cookies to boot, after Ted asked the audience, "Who loves Girl Scout Cookies? Who loves America?" implying, of course that anybody who doesn't buy Girl Scout cookies is a commie pinko terrorist thug. I couldn't agree more.

Anyway, it was Ted's birthday and he asked me to shoot this picture of him with his buddy Peter and publish it. Better late (almost a month) than never, eh? I just went to a lab to pee in a cup yesterday (which is, as you know, the final "No, we really mean it when we say we want to hire you") so with that huge albatross off my back, I can get back to working, paying my bills, and therefore actually seeing a band now and again and writing about it. So, as promised, here's your picture of Ted with his friend Peter on Ted's birthday at Kochanski's:


Ted and his friend Peter, originally uploaded by V'ron.


Oh, one more thing. Before all you busybodies get all bent out of shape about my still collecting unemployment, I don't start my new job until April 4 the earliest, so I'm still legally eligible. But it was satisfying to know that this week and next week will be the last time I have to do this, at least for awhile, or hopefully, never again. Can you feel how relieved I am? And no questions about the job. I'm not one of those people who talks about work in my blog because a) it's the company's bidniz, not mine and b) it would bore you to death. Trust me on this.


Comments

Yay for the job, yay for seeing music, yay for you in general!!!

Popular Posts