Some things are more important than updating your blog on a timely basis

I know, it's Tuesday, and I'm just getting around to writing about the previous Friday, but I've had a long, busy weekend, I'm recharging the camera's batteries, I got a much needed cut and color on Sunday morning, the weather's been absolutely dreary, I'm running a triathlon this weekend, I've got …..

Oh, how much do I love Milwaukee? How many other counties run free movies in the park for the family so that you can chill with the kids on a wonderful summer night, absent of going to a real drive-in? Friday night Stella made it through her first tear-jerker, the 2006 retelling of Charlotte's Web in Pere Marquette park, just past yet another spectacular sunset. Steve Buscemi as Templeton helps you laugh off the tears after Charlotte dies: "Mom," Stella protested, "This is a kid's movie. This is too sad. I hate these movies about friendships. They're always so sad!" Boy, I didn't know what to tell her. Not all friendship movies are said. Usually theyr'e about triumph, but I explained to her that the lesson here is not that friendship is sad, but that you can't avoid sad things, so you might as well enjoy and treasure every moment you do have with those you love. It's a good lesson, and one best taught under the stars on a wonderful summer night. (Sammy's not old enough to have grasped that part of the story, thank God, I didn't want to have to console two despondent children. He happily giggled all the way through.)

Still, as Stella pointed out, "I'm not going to be able to step on any spiders for a long time." And admittedly, its going to be at least a week before I can bring myself to eat pork.

Comments

Popular Posts