Gor-May Venison


This could be you
Originally uploaded by V'ron.
I've had a nasty bout of bronchitis this week, such that I had to call in late to work earlier this week as a result of a severe cough medicine hangover. So I had to really think about whether I should be going out this weekend. SHould I just stay in and get better, or should I go and see Darrell "The Brains" Martin and Bush DJ at the Foundation? Well I was feeling better, so I needed to get out of the house, and that pretty much answered my question. However, I'm picking up the paper, and I see there's a ton a good bands playing out and I'm thinking maybe I should drop in and see one of them. But I'm still feeling a bit under the weather, and I'm vascillating back in forth in my mind, what should I do after I go see the DJs: see a band/just go home/see a band/just go home.

And then I came across this news story at (of course) Fox News, datelined, to my embarassment, Wisconsin. The headline, if you haven't clicked the link yet, is "Wisconsin Man Runs Over, Eats Seven-Legged Transgendered Deer." That's right. This isn't an Onion Story. Some guy named Rick Lisko just outside of Fond du Lac ran over a deer in his driveway, inspected it, saw that it had seven legs (actually appendages, but who's counting?) and both male and female genetalia. So, of course, what else could he do but call up his buddy the deer processor, and eat it? At least he admits that its a little freaky, as he told the Associated Press:
"It kind of gives you the creeps when you look at it," he said, but he thought he saw the appendages moving, as if they were functional, before the deer was hit.

OK, so it kind of gives you the creeps, dude, and that didn't stop you from eating it? Hell no! The story continues:
John Hoffman of Eden Meat Market skinned the deer for Lisko, who wasn't going to waste the venison from the animal.
"And by the way, I did eat it," Lisko said. "It was tasty."

I saw this story as pretty much a sign, a divine intervention. I did indeed need to see a band this weekend, and the band I needed to see was, naturally, The Mighty Deer Lick. No other band would have as perfectly custom made for this.

The Deer Lick have been around, in one form or another, since the old "The Newsletter" days, when a gazillion great bands formed in the early 90s, with personnel that floated around from one band to another. The DeekLick were the punks, perfect Wisconsin punks from up north, or so their schtick would imply -- I seem to remember that they didn't sell T-Shirts, rather plaid flannel shirts with the band's name silkscreened across the back. Apparently Dave Deerlick (his real name is Dave Reinholdt, but I've always known of him as Dave Deerlick) and Dan Franke, according to the Deerlick's myspace page, were friends in LaCrosse (that's up north dere enough), but the band itself was Milwaukee all the way. I haven't seen them in at least five years, and they don't play out all that much anymore, but they do get it together almost every year for Christmas, re-brand themselves as the Mighty Reindeer Lick, and that guaranteed the kind of holiday party I needed.

Anyway, it was a steam room at the Points East Pub Saturday, and perhaps that explains why Reinholdt had to change his shirts at least seven times during the show (or maybe he just got a bunch of shirts he wanted to show off), and except for the personnel change (not even Franke is in the band anymore), things don't seem to have changed a bit. Reinholdt is still the supreme smartass with a not-so-well-hidden heart, whose stage delivery is spot-on: you're not sure if he's scripted out all his banter, of if he's really that clever on the fly all the time.

Of course they did the hits: including all their Christmas tunes, including a few new ones (Reindeer in the Sky, complete with Ted Nugent-cum-Robin Trower ripoff) and I guess since its NOT summer, they left out "Port-O-Let", but at least they did "Chopped Liver" for us. And Franke, home for the holidays from his (apparently new) home in Austin, joined 'em on stage to holler out "If you want something done right do it yourself" (in a song about jacking off) to complete that long-time reunion feeeling that was all over the room. You could see the longtime hardcore fans, all glad to see each other, all embracing each other at one point or another. I felt like I was at a holiday party for some company I didn't work for, but it was a cool company that didn't mind that I crashed. Hell, I paid my $5, and even got a nice homeburn of their latest stuff on CD, which I'll probably listen to at work tomorrow, while I'm being glad that some Chopped Liver could get the taste of seven-legged transgendered deer meat from Fond Du Lac out of my virtual mouth.




Comments

Popular Posts